It's official.
I am now a Marketer.
Some months ago, I thought of the sort of fields I would like to invest myself into, experiences that I would like to gain and skills I'd like to acquire. I thought about my career in the long run, I thought of that 5-year plan even if I dreaded it.
I told myself, the creative industry is where I can see myself fit comfortably. It was more towards the flexibility of the jobs, and the ability to express myself in such endless ways. In the last two months, I have been involved in a few filming, which was exciting for me. When I read back on my journals, I found out that I've always had this interest in venturing into filmmaking but I just never knew where to start. Little progress is still progress kan.
Losing my job was painful, and it was difficult for me to wrap my head around but I never once thought of giving up. I've applied to over 70 jobs in Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam in the span of 4 months. I am underqualified for most of the jobs I applied to but I remained hopeful that someone would notice my application and consider me for the position that I most probably would have forgotten by now.
Some showed interest, made several e-mail correspondences, a few interviews and assessments, a couple of rejections and finally - a job offer.
It doesn't pay well, but it really is better than nothing. I still wake up each morning asking myself, "how did I get here? why did they take me in?"
How can they possibly take someone who has minimal experience and skills in Marketing to lead the unit all by herself? Not only that, to let her be responsible for almost every aspect and image of the company? Can she handle it?
Yes and No, I guess.
This job makes me feel uncomfortable, paranoid and anxious. I couldn't stop thinking of all the possibilities of how I could fail to deliver. It scares me to think that I wouldn't be able to do what they wanted me to do, and then thinking of how doable the tasks really are. Then I realised, this is why this job is good for me. This is how I will grow, this is how I will learn, and this is how I will develop into the person I wanted to be. This is the start of everything.
So, sure - I have been proven that people do look past your qualification and there are people who are willing to take the risk and invest in your talents. I am sure they are as scared as I am, but if we could work together as a team, I believe we would soar just fine.
To many others who are still actively looking for a job. Don't give up. Don't be scared to apply to jobs that you think would be beneficial to you, career wise. Don't limit yourself to your qualification - find what it is that you're good at and believe that someone out there will see that in you.
I'm not afraid to admit that I've failed a lot in the past. I failed my A'levels, I failed some modules during my degree and I struggled so much to find what I was good at. I'm not great at anything in particular, but I'm pretty good at learning. I have a degree in Linguistics of which I have hardly utilised throughout my working experiences but I guess, I've proven to my parents enough that I can still land a job despite my qualifications. That we shouldn't discourage our kids to learn whichever fields they wish to venture into. We never know what the future holds, right? So let's just keep going forward and continue learning...
Wednesday, 13 July 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment