Saturday, 29 July 2017

First Expense Report of 2017



Okay, NO, these are not my last month's expenses but a summary of the last 4 months.

I mentioned in my previous post about coming across this Malaysian Personal Finance Blogger who runs an awesome blog called Ringgit Oh Ringgit. What really got my attention was this Monthly Budget Update that she does and the fact that she's able to share something that most of us would deem as "confidential" or private. 

Frankly, I hesitated on wanting to post this up but I guess I wanted to do something other than my usual sappy and emotional writings. I've only started tracking my expenses about 4 months ago using the MoneyLover App, which took some time to get used to but it's probably one of the most user-friendly app there is. I'm still using the free version so I'm only allowed to have 2 Wallets: 
  1. Bank Account (expenses made through this account should have a small credit card symbol next to it)
  2. Cash (expenses made through this account should have the symbol with hand holding cash, cause yknow take ma money!) 



I feel like my report is still a little disorganised and I'm still trying to find my ways around it but it's so easy to see what's my biggest expenses are: BILLS AND UTILITIES. 

What do the bills comprise of? 
Well, from car loan to credit card payment, phone bills, the internet, and electricity. Having a luxurious car means spending 1/3 of your monthly income just to pay for the loan. It wasn't a very wise decision but I LOOVE my car and I knew that I wouldn't have been able to afford it 7 years from now. 

A number of my monthly spending is quite set in stone: Bills & Utilities, Savings, Food & Litter for Pets and Moolahs for my parents. It's the rest of the expenses that are quite interesting to review on, I guess...

FOOD & BEVERAGES:
  • I spent approximately $70 on this per month. I've cut down a lot of cost/ expenses this year because of the unforeseen commitments over the last 12 months. On average, I would spend around $2 to $6 a day on meals (Brunch and Lunch as I don't really eat for dinner). If you bought food from stalls, you could get 4 different food (Nasi Pusu, Popia, Begedil and Karipap) just for $4. FTW.
GROCERIES (+Personal Care Products):
  • Approximately $250 per month. I'm the least mindful person when it comes to grocery shopping. It's like I would just grab whatever I want but it's also realising that I've been buying less stuff or the same items but paying more than I did 3 years ago because, in this poor economy, everything is just more expensive. 
PETROL:
  • An average of $70 per month. Thank God I live in a country where fuel is still cheap. It normally costs me $32 for a full tank which would last me for about 2 weeks considering that I drive a minimum of 60km-80km per day.
FAMILY:
  • There are 3 sub-categories under Family: Parents, Pets and Home. This made the second largest expenses per month. Over the last 12 months, I've been paying a lot of Medical Expenses for my pets, which has also drained out a lot of my savings. This month alone, I've rescued 5 more kittens (unfortunately 2 died) and adopted another cat. Having brought these cats home somehow made my other cats sick so it's a vicious and exhausting cycle of trips to the vet each month.
  • Since my dad has retired for almost a year now, it has changed our family's economy quite drastically too. Considering that I earn the highest income in our household, it's becoming a responsibility to step in and help around. 
SAVINGS:
  • Haha, tinggal habuk. 😅
  • I do have a habit of putting aside a sum of money each month of which I'd only use towards the end of the month and when necessary. I have not been able to save consistently so I've started the Fives and Fifties method. However, it's so challenging because I'm a pretty cashless person but I do hope it'll bring positive outcome eventually. 



AVERAGE MONTHLY EXPENSES:
  • Approximately $2,700 because I think the Monthly Average stated above is not realistic enough. My biggest expense in the last four months would be July because it was Raya and I spent quite a lot to help my parents out. 
  • Yeah, I am trying to be prudent with my spending but I can't help having 9 cats and probably expecting more since we just brought home a girlfriend for Mojojojo. Aiyayay. 
So there you go, my first budget report and probably not as fun as Suraya's. I am figuring out ways to earn extra income but that'll require time and commitment. So far I've two things in mind, to offer B&W film developing services, or to sell my paintings. I'd really love to get something very fancy for myself this year so I guess I'll have to force myself to make time and commitment. Please pray that I don't give up on these. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.