Thursday, 3 August 2017

Moving Jobs



Finding jobs sucks, right? 

Yeah, been there and done that and will probably go through the same cycle once my contract is over. 

Today, I have an accumulation of 7 years of working experiences in various fields, but would only consider the last 3 to 4 years as professional jobs. I did write a few thing or two about what I do for a living but never really talked about it much. 

So here's my story: 

After I graduated, I was hired to work as a Project Officer for this government-funded project that was based in UBD. Prior to that, I've only worked for NGOs so the working culture between the two was drastic. I honestly messed up my interview and thought that maybe I wouldn't have gotten the job. Few days after, I received a call and they wanted me to start as soon as possible although my official letter of appointment only came three months later. I was, in fact, working for almost three months without being paid. 

We had a very small unit with huge commitments. We had 8 programmes running throughout the year, so the pressure that came with it was overwhelming. Someone I met once told me that my first job would help to determine the kind of work I would want to do for a living. Well, this definitely wasn't it. 

I worked in an all-women department, and because I was the youngest, newest and probably an amateur, it was easy for me to be bullied. It was easy for someone to scold me and made me be responsible for all the whoopsies. This job was tough. I've cried many times, lost a lot of sleep, belittled and my mental health was in a bad state. Yet I stayed because I never knew how to leave until I was forced to resign. I wasn't even fired or terminated. I was told to resign because it would be inconvenient for them to explain if I was terminated on purpose. 

But for every interview I attended, my reason has always been the same:
"The project that I was working on was the last initiative under the project and was recently formed. Due to budget cuts, the programme that I was working on got defunded and so I was cut off from my job as well."

And that's partially true. 

Then my job hunting process began. Every day I would look up on websites like LinkedIn, Facebook Ads, BruDirect and the papers, and I would just apply to any job openings that I saw. I must've submitted at least 70 applications within 2 months. I would attend talks and career expo, and really be proactive to find something. It was daunting to stay positive while your bank account was slowly going dry. Like, how was I going to feed my cats? 

I was fortunate to be offered to work as a part-time TV Programme Researcher under RTB, which had kept me quite occupied with filming and researching. As tiring as it was, I enjoyed learning the processes behind the scenes. I loved co-directing too! (Psh, my dream job is to be a filmmaker!)

Concurrently I also worked as a Baking Helper (not sure if that's what you'd called it) but basically, I was helping my cousin with her biscuits business. Not a very fun job though. Haha! 

Somehow I was quite determined that I would land a job within 4 months after losing my full-time job and I was right. Truth be told, I wouldn't have stayed sane if I didn't pray a lot or really put my faith in His plans for me but there was just this instinct of what was going to unfold for me. It was a pretty miserable year but I strived through anyway. 

I got a job as a Senior Marketer for a home solutions company. 

Never have I been more drained out than being in that job. I worked about 5 1/2 to 6 (sometimes 7) days a week. Since I was the only person handling the Marketing Department, the responsibility was heavy. The workload was heavy. The company expected a 360 corporate revamped within 2 months, from a person who doesn't have any Marketing background. They were so ambitious but unrealistic with their timeline and trying to do it cheaply. Monthly KPI session was the only time I was able to express my frustrations and demanded an experienced Marketing Manager, albeit being offered the position should I completed one year contract with them.

I had met a lot of wonderful people at this place. I never thought I would be friended a colleague because I never really mixed personal and professional lives together. But with their poor management, I was miserable and decided not to sign the contract after having passed my probationary period. My department (by that I meant just me) had scored the highest marks for monthly assessment for a couple of times, which was great but it wasn't worth staying for so I kept looking for a job and left the moment I unexpectedly and successfully landed another. 

Very often I considered myself to be fortunate. 

I obviously didn't get my current job because I was smart and my degree would have justified that point. I got this job because I worked hard and I worked smart. As a Project Officer, I had always been involved in hiring and procurement. I had gone through hundreds of CV, I had sat down in interviews so many times and I'd written reports about it. I know what employers are looking for. I studied interview questions very thoroughly, and I rehearsed my lines over and over again.

Background studies and research on the company or the places you've applied to are so important and that's what I did. I kept my answers short and precise. I listened to the questions and the way they could manipulate you. I prepared myself so well yet I was always expecting myself to fail. This is what anxiety does. 

But here I am. 

Working in a University, still adapting, still adjusting and always learning. After all those mentally, physically and emotionally draining jobs I've had in the past, I am finally working in a more relaxed environment and with a boss who is kind and understanding. Having an easy day for me feels like a complete waste because I crave pressure, and heavy workload but I guess God is rewarding me for something. 

I was made prepared for this. It's not a career but it's definitely something. All the mistakes I've made in the last 4 years taught me a lot. All the times I got scolded, or being yelled at or being dissed made me better. I never once regretted the jobs I've taken, and I never took them for granted. I love working and I love being paid well for it. 

From all these experiences, my best advice would probably to leave the job that is bad for your health. Don't get too attached to it, and home time is home time. If there was any question about "Would you bring work home?" Trust me, the best way to answer is that "No. I would ensure that I do my task in a timely manner and avoid taking work home." They're not looking for a workaholic, they're looking for someone who is time-efficient regardless how last minute an assignment is. 

And LAST MINUTE ASSIGNMENT? THAT'S A CULTURE HERE. Get used to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.